If you have been charged with a serious traffic offences or serious driving offence, you need serious legal adviceMatthews Lawyers can provide you with advice as to what your legal options are and whether a driver’s licence disqualification can be avoided.  Phone Eugenia Matthews on 0401 269 091.

Examples of what are serious driving offences?

  1. Driving with more than the prescribed concentration of alcohol or a drug in your blood (commonly called drink driving or drug driving).
  2. Driving under the influence of alcohol or a drug (DUI).
  3. Driving at a speed or in a manner that is alleged to be dangerous to the public (driving without due care). If alcohol or drugs are a factor in the offending it becomes an aggravated offence.
  4. Aggravated driving without due care causing death or injury of another person (causing death or harm by dangerous driving).

POSSIBLE PENALTIES:  All involve a period of driver’s licence disqualification.  The period of it depends on the charge for which you have been convicted. 

DUI, Drive speed or manner dangerous and Aggravated drive without due care causing death or injury to another person, in addition with a period of driver’s licence disqualification has imprisonment as a sentencing option.

Demerit Points:

  1. Fully licenced drivers are able to accumulate 12 points within 3 years.
  2. Provisional drivers are able to accumulate 4 or more points whilst holding the class of licence.
  3. Probationary drivers are only allowed to accumulate 2 points whilst holding this class of licence.

DO NOT PAY THE EXPIATION NOTICE IF YOU WANT LEGAL ADVICE.  Payment is an admission of guilt.  You will lose the opportunity to be found not guilty and as a result demerit points will be incurred.

DO NOT ELECT TO GO TO COURT WITHOUT SEEKING LEGAL ADVICE.  If you successfully defend the charge, you may lose the opportunity to seek costs from Prosecution, because you asked to be prosecuted.  Therefore, any legal costs you have incurred are because of your own request.

Disclaimer: This information is of a general nature only and not a substitute for legal advice.  Contact our office for advice specific to your situation.